Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, CV, professional writing sample, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents must be in pdf format. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please.
Scientist III / Fisheries Scientist
Owl Ridge Natural Resource Consultants, Inc. is based in Anchorage, Alaska. Owl Ridge Natural Resource Consultants, Inc. (Owl Ridge) was formed in 2012 as a small business enterprise to provide a full range of environmental consulting services including planning, permitting, and compliance. Professionals with high levels of experience, competence, and expertise form the foundation of our business. The Scientist III/Fisheries Scientist must embrace the company model and execute as a key part of their position responsibilities.
Fairbanks or Anchorage, Alaska
A Scientist position at any level at Owl Ridge requires the incumbent provide support of all aspects of our services requiring analytical thinking and process management. Our competitive advantage as a small company is that we provide experts on a broad range of the sciences and on management of process. Each scientist is expected to bring a high level of knowledge in a scientific discipline such as biology, geology, hydrology, engineering, GIS, sociocultural, or economics. In addition to that discipline knowledge, a Scientist III/Fisheries Scientist will demonstrate the ability to incorporate analytical thinking and understanding of regulatory process into the deliverables required by our clients.
The Scientist III has opportunities to work across Alaska with a variety of fish species and aquatic ecosystems on projects ranging from oil and gas, mining, and transportation to governmental fisheries baseline data collection projects. The primary functions of this position, under the supervision of the Fisheries Practice Lead, include managing and implementing various fish and aquatic sampling programs, drafting data reports, environmental review documents consistent with NEPA, Essential Fish Habitat Assessments consistent with the Magnuson Stevens Fisheries Conservation Act, monitoring plans, aquatic habitat reclamation and/or enhancement plans, and drafting a variety of state and federal permit applications. Your responsibilities and job duties for Owl Ridge will include but are not limited to:
- Implement field data collection projects safely and consistent with Owl Ridge established sampling plans and protocols;
- Review all Owl Ridge safety documentation and plans including project specific safety plans,
- Critically review plans and become an active participant in further development of safety plans, procedures, and implementation tracking;
- Analyze and consolidate field data for incorporation into draft final reports;
- Prepare draft final reports in appropriate Owl Ridge or client formats;
- Prepare and present results of Owl Ridge research projects to clients, government agencies and peers at professional meetings;
- Review and provide draft analytical comments and/or prepare draft sections of environmental review documents (Essential Fish Habitat Assessments, Environmental Impact Statements, Environmental Assessments, Biological Assessments etc.);
- Develop new and existing client relationships;
- Assist in the development of study plans, work scopes, and budgets for new projects,
- Present study plans to stakeholders;
- Provide environmental compliance inspection support to clients;
- Be familiar with relevant State and Federal regulations;
- Prepare field study programs and sampling plans at direction of Senior Scientists;
- Support project management tasks as requested by Senior staff;
- Understand the regulatory environment that drives the scientific and data needs of the project;
- Incorporate data in a clear and concise manner into regulatory documents;
- Support data compilation and reporting for compliance purposes;
- Have a high skill level with MS Office products and understand use of databases;
- Support systems management such as administrative record and SharePoint.
Position Qualifications and Skills
B.S./M.S. or higher education in Biological Sciences or related discipline (M.S. or higher preferred). Education can be substituted with 5 or more years professional experience in fishery related research, project evaluations, and permitting. Documented skills include: data analysis, proficiency in mathematics, conducting research, field-staff management, strong written and verbal communication, problem solving, attention to detail, and proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel & Access), MS Visio, MS Project, and ArcGIS.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Designation
This position is classified as non-exempt in accordance with FLSA and you will be paid hourly with eligibility for overtime pay. You will be expected to work in the field which may require working long days including weekends and holidays while there.
A Scientist III will be required to travel to remote Alaska sites, or other Owl Ridge office locations.
- You must be willing and able to travel on small single engine aircraft, helicopters, boats, snow machines, ATVs and must to hike to some field sampling locations,
- You may occasionally be required to work outside of Alaska for field projects or to travel to work with staff in Anchorage or out of State offices.
- You must be physically capable of working in remote Alaska in a safe manner. This includes performance in, and adaptation to, frequently changing weather conditions. You must be able to walk in rough terrain while carrying the necessary equipment to perform the assigned duties.
- Due to the cost and complexities of travel to remote areas, you may be required to work in the field for extended periods of time, typically not more than 14 continuous days. This includes research and work on weekends and holidays.
Remuneration and Profit Sharing
Owl Ridge philosophy is to share in the success with all employees through profit sharing and remunerate key staff for work that results in profits and increased revenue.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.